Student Newspapers

Campus (1887-1955)
In 1887, the name of the University of Rochester student newspaper was shortened from "The Rochester Campus" to "The Campus." The intended audience was students, alumni, and faculty, and the student editors included news on all aspects of the school. Editorials, news, short stories, poems, songs, lectures, jokes, and parody issues for April Fool's Day appeared regularly. No issues were published between July 1896 and October 1897.
This website of student newspapers is dedicated in memory of John “Swanee” Swanson ’83. Recognizing that the Campus Times has been a vital record of University of Rochester history since 1873, Swanee’s classmates, friends, and family have chosen to honor him and all he represented by generously contributing to the digitization of the Campus Times and providing for online access to the collection.
Campus Crier, 1947-1958
This website of student newspapers is dedicated in memory of John “Swanee” Swanson ’83. Recognizing that the Campus Times has been a vital record of University of Rochester history since 1873, Swanee’s classmates, friends, and family have chosen to honor him and all he represented by generously contributing to the digitization of the Campus Times and providing for online access to the collection.
Campus Times (1955-present)
This website of student newspapers is dedicated in memory of John “Swanee” Swanson ’83. Recognizing that the Campus Times has been a vital record of University of Rochester history since 1873, Swanee’s classmates, friends, and family have chosen to honor him and all he represented by generously contributing to the digitization of the Campus Times and providing for online access to the collection.
Cloister Window (1925-1932)
The students of the University of Rochester's College for Women began publishing a newspaper in 1925. Initially called "The Cloister Window," it was renamed "Tower Times" in 1932. The paper ceased publication in 1955 when the College for Women merged with the College for Men on the River Campus. At that time, the newspapers previously published by the students of the two colleges also merged, thus "The Campus" and "Tower Times" became "Campus Times."
This website of student newspapers is dedicated in memory of John “Swanee” Swanson ’83. Recognizing that the Campus Times has been a vital record of University of Rochester history since 1873, Swanee’s classmates, friends, and family have chosen to honor him and all he represented by generously contributing to the digitization of the Campus Times and providing for online access to the collection.
Perspectives
"Perspectives"was published by the Black Press during the fall of 1972. Only two issues exist in the University Archives, for October and November. The editors described their objective and approach as follows: "Primarily, "Perspectives" concerns itself with "Minority Happenings" in the University Community as well as the Urban Community of Rochester. The Staff is comprised of minority students who will interpret the "Happenings" as we minority students perceive them. Our objective is to add a new perspective on campus life, and thus, not only meet the needs of minority students, but also to enlighten the entire University Community on what we be's about, from our own point of view."
Rochester Campus (1876-1886)
From January 1876 until June 1886, the University of Rochester student newspaper was named "The Rochester Campus." The intended audience was students, alumni, and faculty, and the student editors included news on all aspects of the school as well as the post-graduation lives of the alumni. Editorials, news, short stories, poems, songs, essays, lectures, and jokes appeared regularly. In 1886, the paper would be renamed "The Campus." Publication was suspended between August 1880 and March 1882, apparently due to financial and organizational difficulties.
This website of student newspapers is dedicated in memory of John “Swanee” Swanson ’83. Recognizing that the Campus Times has been a vital record of University of Rochester history since 1873, Swanee’s classmates, friends, and family have chosen to honor him and all he represented by generously contributing to the digitization of the Campus Times and providing for online access to the collection.
Tower Times (1932-1955)
The students of the University of Rochester's College for Women began publishing a newspaper in 1925. Initially called "The Cloister Window," it was renamed "Tower Times" in 1932. The paper ceased publication in 1955 when the College for Women merged with the College for Men on the River Campus. At that time, the newspapers previously published by the students of the two colleges also merged, thus "The Campus" and "Tower Times" became "Campus Times."
This website of student newspapers is dedicated in memory of John “Swanee” Swanson ’83. Recognizing that the Campus Times has been a vital record of University of Rochester history since 1873, Swanee’s classmates, friends, and family have chosen to honor him and all he represented by generously contributing to the digitization of the Campus Times and providing for online access to the collection.
University Record (1873-1876)
The first student newspaper published at the University of Rochester was issued in 1873, and titled "The University Record." The intended audience was students, alumni, and faculty, and the student editors included news on all aspects of the school as well as the post-graduation lives of the alumni. Editorials, news, poems, jokes, and advertisements appeared regularly. In 1876, the name of the paper was changed to "The Rochester Campus."
This website of student newspapers is dedicated in memory of John “Swanee” Swanson ’83. Recognizing that the Campus Times has been a vital record of University of Rochester history since 1873, Swanee’s classmates, friends, and family have chosen to honor him and all he represented by generously contributing to the digitization of the Campus Times and providing for online access to the collection.